Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chapters V-VIII Questions

1.  Chapter V: What is Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans to die? Why? Screwtape believes that humans should die in a "costly nursing home" with everyone telling the patient that everything would be all right and that he/she would get better.  With this hope of getting better, the person would stay focus on him/herself and ignore any religious teachings.  However, from what Screwtape thinks, this false hope of life would end in the person's death and they would not know God due to their focus on themselves.

2.  Chapter VI: How does “...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary” (Lewis, 28)? How does this apply to your life?  This happens when an event happens in a person's life.  In the book, there is a war occuring.  The patient feels hatred toward the Germans and he believes that fighting against them is doing good for the country.  However, no good cames from this hatred, his thoughts are clouded and anger and other feelings are preventing him from seeing the truth of his actions and thoughts.  I do the same thing.  If something is not going how I think it should, I feel as I am the one to correct it and that I'm doing a better job.  However, it turns out that I'm sometimes making it worse than it was.  It is best to turn to God for help and guidance instead of rushing in and trying to do things with your own power.

3.  Chapter VII: How do you picture the devil? What does this chapter challenge you about regarding the spiritual warfare over your soul?  I picture the devil to look like an angel with the black wings and white robe.  The devil use to be an angel, however he chose to disobey God and was banished.  We are not given a clear picture from the Bible about how angels look but they are definately beautiful beings.  In this chapter, I see that there is many trials and temptations created by the devil and his followers to turn me away from God.  This chapter challenges me to come closer to God and trust in Him to protect and guide me through these many temptations and trials. 

4.  Chapter VIII: What is the “law of Undulation” (Lewis, 37)? Give an example of this in your life.
The "law of Undulation" is when a person tries to accomplish something that he/she has failed to do so in the past and meets new problems and challenges and continues to fail.  A lot of these problems and challenges are from the devil's temptation and the lack of trust in God.  I always try to have a good attitude with my parents.  I am able to do so for a while, however, something just suddenly happens and I completely fall out of line and disrespect them.  Then I repeat trying to respect them and it keeps happening.  However, I have been working on it and recently I have heard a good sermon and I have been putting more trust in God for His help.

5.  Chapter VIII: “Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (Lewis 40). What are your thoughts on this?  My thoughts is that the human follows God but is starting to have doubts in his/her mind.  However, there is a small will to continue following and obeying God even though the person may be lost.  With this small will, it could grow into a stronger relationship with God.  This is what the devil fears and would continue to come on hard and swiftly on the person to try to overtake their will.  However, God is always there for His followers even when it seems that He is not and He would guide them if they trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment